All homeowners deserve a trustworthy roofing contractor to make repairs or replacements on their homes. Sadly, many homeowners have been burned in the past by untrustworthy contractors. If you’ve experienced this in the past, you might be hesitant to hire anyone to work on your home. Alternatively, you may be a new homeowner who has never had to hire someone before and are not sure where to start.
If you are feeling:
We have compiled good questions to ask a roofer before hiring them to help put your mind at ease during your search!
Important Things to Note
Before you begin your journey to hire a professional roofing contractor, there are a few things you should research so that you can know exactly what questions to ask.
- Repair vs. Replacement – The unknowing homeowner will often use the terms “repair” and “replacement” interchangeably. However, they are two distinctly different services. It is important for you to know whether you are looking to replace your entire roof or if you are just looking to repair your existing roof.
- Roofing Materials – Different types of roofing materials require different skill sets and tools. If you are planning to stick with your existing roofing material, it is a good idea for you to take some time to look at what type of roofing you have installed. The majority of homes have asphalt shingles, but your home may have a different material.
- Budget – Before consulting with a roofing contractor, it is a good idea to determine what the going rate in your area is for the service you require. It can get easy, during a consultation, to get swept up in the moment and go over budget. Knowing how much you are comfortable paying can help you in the long run.
10 Questions to Ask a Roofer Before Hiring
Ready to make some phone calls? Here is the list of ten questions you need to ask in order to determine whether a roofing company is right for you.
1) Are You Licensed and Insured?
The first thing you should always enquire about is whether or not a roofing company is insured. A reputable roofing contractor will be willing to show you proof of insurance and licensure. A licensed contractor will help make sure that you and your home are protected should someone become injured on the job.
2) What Materials Do You Work With?
As we’ve previously mentioned, not all roofing companies are created equal. If you are looking to invest in unique roofing materials, such as metal or slate, then you’ll want to look for a company that has experience working with that type of roof.
3) What Warranties Do You Offer?
Solid warranties are the best way to make sure that your new roof is protected for the next few years. Most reputable roofing companies will offer both a manufacturer’s warranty as well as a workmanship warranty.
4) What Does Your Financing Look Like?
The majority of homeowners do not want to pay for a roof replacement all at once. That’s where financing comes in. Many roofing companies offer flexible financing packages that make your roofing project feel a bit more feasible. Asking about their financing options in advance will help you get a better sense of what will be expected of you financially.
5) Who Will Be My Contact?
Too many homeowners have had the unfortunate experience of struggling to get ahold of their roofing contractors. Asking in advance who your point of contact will be will help to ensure that your contractor knows that you plan to be on top of communication and will alleviate any stress that may come in the future.
6) How Long Will the Project Take to Complete
Different roofing projects take different amounts of time to complete. A good roofing contractor should be able to give you an estimate as to how long your roofing project will take. This will let you plan ahead.
7) Who Will Be On the Jobsite?
Asking who will be on the job site is a crucial question that will help keep you and your home safe. Ideally, you want a contractor who will provide you with a project manager to keep the roofers on task and help facilitate communication.
8) Do You Offer Estimates?
Most professional roofing contractors will offer you a free estimate before beginning your roofing repair. Getting an estimate is a good idea in order to make sure that you are not going off-budget.
9) How Will You Protect My Home and Yard?
Reputable contractors will take clear steps to protect your home and yard from debris from your roof repair or roofing installation. This may involve laying down tarps or removing shingles in a specific way.
10) What Is the Lifespan of My Roof?
When you install a new roof, you should learn as much about it as possible. It is important to ask about the lifespan of the particular roofing materials that you choose. This will also help you know how best to maintain your new roof for maximum longevity.
Talk With Your Local Roofing Pro!
Still have questions? Our team at Melo Roofing is here to help! As leaders in the roofing industry, we can help make sure that you go into the roofing installation process feeling confident and informed. Contact us today for a free quote!